The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
The E111 or European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you to access state-provided healthcare in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland at a reduced cost or sometimes free of charge.
E111 forms have been invalid since January 2006. Holders of E111 forms should apply immediately for the EHIC to maintain the level of cover provided by the scheme.
Please see the application guidance notes below to help with the application process.
Everyone who is resident in the UK should have the EHIC and carry it with them when they travel abroad. Please remember to check your EHIC is still valid before you travel. Applying for the card directly from the NHS is free and it is valid for up to five years. The application checking services available from the Post Office and this web site incur a small administrative charge.
New EHIC Applications
For first time applications, please have the following information to hand
- Name and date of birth
- National Insurance Number or NHS Number
If you are over 16 years of age you can apply for cards for your spouse and dependent children on your own application. Please enter the NI or NHS number of a parent/guardian for dependent children under 16 years of age.
Renewing Your EHIC/E111
To renew your existing EHIC or E111, please also have the following information to hand.
- EHIC PIN Number, as displayed on your card
If you have lost your EHIC or E111 please supply the details requested on the application form and we will contact you within 24 hours.
- Online – The easiest way to apply is online. Our Check & Send Service is available at a cost of £9.99 per application. Standard applications are normally processed and delivered within 7-10 working days.
- At the Post Office - You can pick up an application from participating Post Office Counters. The Post Office Check & Send Service is available at a cost of £2 per application. Your application should be processed within 21 days.
- By Telephone - You can telephone the NHS Business Services Authority EHIC Application Line on 0845 606 2030. Your application should be processed within 10 days. There is no charge to make an application by phone, but you will have to pay for the cost of the call. Your application should be processed within 7-10 working days.
You cannot use your EHIC if you are travelling specifically for treatment in another country.
Remember that the EHIC cover includes only state hospitals, not private.
If you have lost your EHIC, please click this link.